In the event that you have truly cleaned out the cupboards over Christmas and have no snacky nuts leftover that you’d like to get rid of, and would suit a glass of wine or a beer, you should aim to roast your own nuts…and not for martyr reasons, but because it’s almost easier that doing the party shopping…
What You Need...
- 500g Mixed Nuts (Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, Brazils, Almonds complete with skins, Cashews)
- A hanful of mixed seeds if you have them just for a texture a flavour change – sunflower & pumpkin are great
- 30g Sunflower Oil or Butter
- ¼ Teaspoon each of Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon each of paprika, cayenne pepper, chilli pepper (Optional)
What You Do...
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Toss the nuts in a bowl with the oil or butter and salt, pepper and spices. Put on a baking sheet and roast until lightly browned which will take about 10 minutes or so.
Cool before serving; they will crisp as they cool.
A variation on this would be to omit the salt & pepper, and to use a tablespoon of honey and a half teaspoon of chilli powder instead. This will give you a sweet and spicy version.