Pear Tarte Tatin with Crème Anglaise



Rough Puff Pastry

450g Strong flour

Pinch of salt

20g of lemon juice

300g of cold butter

240g cold water


10 Pears, peeled and cored.

40g butter unsalted

150g caster sugar

Hazelnuts for decoration

Crème Anglaise

250ml milk

250ml cream

8 egg yolks

60g sugar

Vanilla pod

You’ll need a frying pan with a stainless steel handle.


Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, add water and lemon juice.

Dice the cold butter into large chunks and lightly rub into the flour. You need to see the chunks of butter.  

Once the pastry comes together, leave it in the fridge for a few minutes to chill.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle.

Roll the dough in one direction only, until 3 times the width, about 20 x 50cm.

Don’t overwork the butter, you should be able to see butter chunks.

Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that almost like you’re folding an envelope.

Roll it once more and then wrap it in clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This is the first ‘turn’. You need to roll out the pastry, fold it and refrigerate twice more before the pastry is ready.

Preheat your oven to 210 degrees /190 fan


Make dry caramel by sprinkling sugar onto a hot pan, soften with butter.

Peel and quarter the pears and arrange them in a spiral, starting on the outside and working your way in, so that they fit tightly in the pan.

Cook until a golden caramel has formed and excess liquid has evaporated. Cool a little.

Place pastry on top, turning edges in, and bake at 190°C for 20-25 minutes, or until pastry is crisp and golden brown. Cool for about 10 minutes.

Strain any excess juice into a bowl and carefully turn out. Finish by sprinkling coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts around the edge of the tart.

Crème Anglaise

Heat milk and add in a vanilla pod. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.

Remove flavourings from  milk. Add the egg and sugar mixture to the milk.

Heat gently stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens.